Monday, December 3, 2012

Advent Traditions 2012

I love celebrating advent in a multitude of ways in our home each year in December.  I have so many advent calendars and activities that I have made, purchased, or inherited from my mother.  We can't possibly do them all (well) each year.  This year we are focusing on: 
 
 

The blog linked above is an awesome Jesse Tree Advent with paper ornaments for your kiddos to color each day while you read the Scripture passage. I have each girl color one ornament and then glue them together so that they are double sided. Then we hole punch it and hang it on our Jesse Tree. I have seen blogs where 28 moms get together and make 28 of one of the 28 Jesse Tree symbols. The ornaments are adorable! I couldn't get it together for this year, but I am hoping to round up 28 moms to have it done by next Christmas.
 
 
 
 
 Adorenaments
 
These aren't in print anymore.  I have no idea why.  My mom used them with my brothers when they were small.  There are 12 ornaments, each with a symbol for the different names of Christ.  There is a story and a scripture passage to go along with each ornament.  We hang the ornaments on our Jesse Tree.
 

 
Jotham's Journey
 

 
 
Saving our Change
 
This isn't an advent tradition, but it is something we will do each year.  We didn't start until September this year, but in the future we will save all year long.  This morning the girls and I sorted and counted the money that they had to spend.  Then we looked through the catalog and the girls selected things to send to people in extreme poverty around the World.  They chose things like baby chickens, blankets, clothes, and stuffed animals.
 


 
 
Candy Advent Calendars

 
 
 
 
Felt Christmas Tree
Not and advent thing, but I made it hoping it would keep the girls away from the real tree.
 
 
 
 
Playmobil Advent Calendar
 
The girls got a Playmobil advent calendar last year from their Grandma and Grandpa Brasil.  They loved it!  They still play with all of the pieces.  This year for Christmas the girls are getting the Playmobil Princess Castle.  This advent calendar coordinates with the castle perfectly.  They take turns opening a new piece of the set each day. 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment